Papas Arrugadas con Mojo
(Small Potatoes Boiled in Their Jackets with Mojo sauce)
- 1 Kg. of small potatoes
- 2 handfuls (1/4 Kg) of salt
- 3 or 4 glasses of water
- Carefully wash the potatoes without peeling them but making sure that all the soil is removed from their jackets.
- Place the potatoes in a pot along with the salt and add water until the potatoes are just covered completely
Once they are cooked, take out the water and place the pot with the potatoes again on to heat, moving them until they dry up (approximately two minutes).
- Remove the pot from the heat and leave it to stand for several minutes wrapped in a cloth.
- To end with, serve them on a tray and pour mojo evenly on top.
Potatoes is a traditional ingredient in the gastronomy of Tenerife. The potato is a popular part of the diet in the Canarian Archipelago. The Canarian variety of this tuber, originally from South America, is completely different from the ones eaten on mainland Spain. On the islands, the potato is small, round and very tasty, which is why it is commonly used in traditional cuisine. It usually accompanies most dishes, as well as being eaten on its own, as in, “papas arrugadas con mojo,” which, are “wrinkled” potatoes (jacket potatoes boiled in salt) served with a traditional sauce.
Nowadays, there are over twenty varieties, among which, “papas bonitas” (pretty potatoes), “papas negras” (black potatoes), “papas Quineguas or Chineguas” (King Edward potatoes) and the “papas up to date” are particularly worth mentioning.
You May Also Like:
- Caldo de Papas y Cilantro Recipe – Potato and Coriander Soup
- Carajacas Recipe
- Carne de Cabra Compuesta Recipe – Goat Casserole
- Conejo en Salmorejo Recipe – Salmorejo Rabbit
- Gofio Escaldao Recipe – Scalded Gofio
- Helado con Bienmesabe Recipe – Ice Cream with Bienmesabe
- Huevos Mole Recipe – Yolk Mass
- Mojo Rojo Recipe
- Mojo Verde Recipe
- Pata Asada Recipe – Roast Leg of Pork
- Pella de Gofio Recipe – Lump of Gofio
- Potaje de Berros Recipe – Watercress Soup
- Puchero Recipe – Canary Casserole
- Rancho Canario Recipe
- Ropa Vieja Recipe
- Sancocho Recipe
- Sopa de Pescado Recipe – Fish Soup
- Tortitas de Carnaval Recipe – Carnival Pancakes
- Tortitas de Plátanos Recipe – Banana Pancakes
- Truchas de Batata o Cabello de Ángel Recipe – Yam Truchas
- Vieja Sancochada Recipe – Sea Bream Casserole