Sopa de Pescado
- 1 Kg. of fish (normally pink or common dentex)
- 1/2 Kg. of potatoes
- 1 onion
- 1 tomato
- 3 garlic cloves
- black pepper
- Put the peeled potatoes, onion, tomatoes and pepper in a pot with water, all without chopping them yet. Add to this a small amount of oil, paprika, saffron, coriander, mint, cumin, garlic cloves as well as salt and put it on to heat.
- When it starts boiling, add the fish and leave it to cook until the potatoes are ready.
Fish is a traditional ingredient in Tenerife’s cuisine. The rich sea-life that inhabits Tenerife’s oceans is also seen in the exquisite recipes that are made with fresh fish. The Island’s population spent centuries living off the sea’s generosity and there are plenty of families today that still depend on fishing for their livelihood. Almost every seaside town in Tenerife sells fresh fish or serves dishes of fresh fish at its restaurants overlooking the Atlantic. The fish markets in the larger urban areas also offer top quality fresh products.
The waters just off Tenerife’s coasts are deep and have the influence of the Gulf Currents, making them the ideal habitat for parrot fish, sardines, samas, wreckfish, pollocks, grouper fish, combers, horse-mackerel, cuttle fish and mackerel, to name just a few. These species are also the most popular in Canarian kitchens, where they are prepared simply so as not to detract from their great flavour. They are served stewed or fried, with sauce or potatoes for the perfect fish dish. A great example is parrot fish, which is caught very close to the coast and usually served with wrinkly potatoes and Canarian mojo sauce. Wreckfish is commonly used in casseroles, which are particularly popular in northern Tenerife. Fish broth is also used to prepare dishes such as “escaldón”, an extremely popular recipe based on gofio flour (made from toasted cereals), rolled into dough.
You May Also Like:
- Caldo de Papas y Cilantro Recipe – Potato and Coriander Soup
- Carajacas Recipe
- Carne de Cabra Compuesta Recipe – Goat Casserole
- Conejo en Salmorejo Recipe – Salmorejo Rabbit
- Gofio Escaldao Recipe – Scalded Gofio
- Helado con Bienmesabe Recipe – Ice Cream with Bienmesabe
- Huevos Mole Recipe – Yolk Mass
- Mojo Rojo Recipe
- Mojo Verde Recipe
- Papas Arrugadas Recipe – Small Potatoes Boiled in Their Jackets
- Pata Asada Recipe – Roast Leg of Pork
- Pella de Gofio Recipe – Lump of Gofio
- Potaje de Berros Recipe – Watercress Soup
- Puchero Recipe – Canary Casserole
- Rancho Canario Recipe
- Ropa Vieja Recipe
- Sancocho Recipe
- Tortitas de Carnaval Recipe – Carnival Pancakes
- Tortitas de Plátanos Recipe – Banana Pancakes
- Truchas de Batata o Cabello de Ángel Recipe – Yam Truchas
- Vieja Sancochada Recipe – Sea Bream Casserole